If you want to see Disney Plus in 4K Ultra HD For the best possible viewing experience, you’re in luck: Disney Plus supports 4K and makes it easy to find your content on 4K. Here’s what you need to watch Disney Plus content in 4K, what your other high-quality picture and sound options are, and how to find 4K content.
What is 4K and does Disney Plus offer 4K content?
4K isn’t the only high-quality video and audio format that Disney Plus supports. The full set of audio and video options offered by Disney Plus is:
- 5. 1 surround sound
- Dolby Atmos
However, not all content Disney plus supports all these formats. At the time of this writing, around 100 movies on Disney Plus are available to stream in the highest quality formats: 4K Ultra HD and HDR. Virtually all content on the service is streamed in HD and with 5.1 surround sound.
What you need to watch Disney Plus in 4K
You can’t get 4K or HDR quality video streaming with any old streaming box or TV. To watch Disney Plus in 4K and other high-quality formats, you need modern devices that offer specific features and compatibility. To get 4K content from Disney Plus, you need:
- 4KTV: TVs designed for 4K are very specific; they usually advertise 4K Ultra HD resolution or have a resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels or higher.
- 4K streaming device: Not all streaming devices support 4K resolutions. For example, the fourth-generation Apple TV isn’t, but its successor, the Apple TV 4K, is (not surprisingly, given its name).
- Fast internet connection: 4K video needs a lot of bandwidth. While Disney Plus doesn’t provide specific guidelines for streaming in 4K, you’ll hopefully need at least a 25Mbps internet connection for the best experience. You may even want to test your internet speed before trying to watch 4K content on Disney Plus or any other service.
How to find and watch Disney Plus 4K content
Once these requirements are met, we explain how to find and watch 4K content on Disney Plus.
How to watch 4K content on the Disney Plus home screen
Disney Plus makes it super easy to find a selection of its 4K Ultra HD content – there’s a section right there on the home screen. Just scroll down the home screen, past other collections of featured content, to get to the Ultra HD and HDR section. Any content you find there will offer 4K quality and like other high-end options as well.
Find Disney Plus 4K filtering in the movies section
The home screen section only features a small percentage of Disney Plus’s 4K videos, however. To find it all, you can browse and filter the Disney Plus library. That is how:
- Tap or click the menu search (on some devices it’s just a magnifying glass icon).
- press or do click on Films.
- Tap or click the filter options (on some devices, this is a dropdown that defaults to Featured) and select Ultra HD and HDR.
- All content displayed now offers a 4K resolution.
Check an item’s details for 4K and other features
The filter option described in the last section only works for finding 4K movies on Disney Plus. Doesn’t help you find content on Dolby Vision or Dolby Atmos and, at the time of this writing, it appears that there is no 4K TV on Disney Plus.
So, if you want to find out what other high-quality audio and video options a movie or TV show offers, you’ll have to tap on the item and check its details. At the top of each screen, just below the ranking and duration time, is a short list of these options. Touch the Details tab and scroll to Available in following formats to see the full list.