Did you get the “FFXIV Unable to complete version check” error on your PC? Final Fantasy XIV most commonly shows this error when a user downloads or installs the latest version or patch of the game.
Final Fantasy XIV is one of the largest online multiplayer RPGs. It is developed specifically for Windows PCs and is available on Steam. FFXIV is the fourteenth main installation in the Final Fantasy game series.
The problem with this game is, it keeps throwing errors in its user’s face every now and then. “FFXIV Unable to complete version check” is one of the error codes this game gives. If you want to know how to fix this unable to complete version check FFXIV error, then read below.
7 Ways To Solve FFXIV Unable To Complete Version Check
It has been observed by a lot of users that the FFXIV launcher error unable to complete version check occurs due to router problems, unverified game files, and an issue with the FFXIV launcher itself. Know the best ways to get rid of this error below.
1. Restart the Router
One of the main reasons why the FFXIV PS4 unable to complete version check error shows up is due to internet issues. A faulty router can cause your internet to slow down, so restart your router by following the steps given below.
- Turn off the router and unplug it from the power source.
- Leave it like this for at least 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now, plug in the router and turn it on.
- Connect your PC to the wi-fi and check if the error is fixed.
2. Turn Off Windows Defender Firewall
Windows Firewall may have blocked the FFXIV launcher due to security issues. Temporarily disable Windows Firewall to fix FFXIV Unable to complete version check error on your PC. Follow the steps given below to turn off Windows Defender Firewall.
- Go to the “Search” bar on your desktop which is next to the Start menu.
- Now, type “windows defender firewall” in the bar and see the results.
- Click on “Windows Defender Firewall” to open it in Control Panel.
- Next, from the left pane, select “Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off”.
- Check the box for “Turn off Windows Defender Firewall” under Private and Public.
- Finally, click on “OK” to save the changes and restart your PC.
- Once the PC reboots, go to the FFXIV launcher and see if the error still appears.
3. Verify FFXIV Game Files
As discussed earlier, apart from router and antivirus protection, the reason why FFXIV Unable to complete version check error occurs is due to unverified game files on Steam. To fix it, you have to verify the game file integrity by following the steps given below.
- Launch the Steam client and on the home screen, click on the “Library” menu.
- Now, go to “FFXIV” and make a right-click on it. Select the “Properties” option.
- Click on the “Local Files” tab from the top menu bar.
- Finally, select the “Verify Integrity Of Game Files” option.
- The Steam client will automatically complete the verification of files.
- Once done, restart your device and relaunch Final Fantasy XIV.
- The FFXIV Unable to complete version check error must be fixed by now.
4. Temporarily Disable Antivirus Software
Did you install any antivirus applications on your computer? Similar to the Windows Defender Firewall, your antivirus software may block some games and networks. Temporarily disable the antivirus app on your device to fix FFXIV Unable to complete version check error. If the error is fixed and the version check is completed, then you can turn it on later.
5. Edit Boot Configuration
This method is also one of the useful ones to fix FFXIV Unable to complete version check message. Follow the steps given below to change the boot configuration file of FFXIV.
- Press Windows+E keys to open the File Explorer on your PC.
- Now, go to “Search Quick Access” and paste the path given below.
- Press Enter to go to the Final Fantasy XIV game files.
- Now, right-click on the “FFXIV_BOOT” file and open it via Notepad.
- In the Notepad, find “BootVersionCheckMode” and make the value from “0” to “1”.
- Also, change the “B4EulaAgreement” value to “1”.
- Now, save the changes, exit the window, and restart your PC to let the changes apply.
- This step will hopefully fix the FFXIV Unable to complete version check error.
6. Use A VPN
Is the error still showing up? Try using a VPN and then install the FFXIV patches on your device. Connecting to a VPN has fixed the same issue for a lot of users, so you can also give it a try. VPN masks your IP address and can overcome the blocking issues if there are any on your device.
7. Reinstall FFXIV
Straight away deleting the app will definitely fix the FFXIV Unable to complete version check error but you can lose your game progress. If you are okay with that, then uninstall Final Fantasy XIV by following the steps given below.
- Press the Windows button on your keyboard and open “Apps and Features”.
- Scroll down and go to “Final Fantasy XIV” and click on it.
- Click on “Uninstall” to delete the FFXIV launcher from your device.
- Restart your device once deleted FFXIV.
- Now, install it again, and start playing.
- The FFXIV unable to complete version check error will be fixed.
We have given the best 7 methods in this post to fix the FFXIV Launcher error “Unable to complete version check” on Windows PCs. Make sure your internet is strong, game files are verified, virus protection disabled, and if still not fixed, edit the boot configuration. If nothing works, reinstalling FFXIV is the best option to go with. For more fixes and helpful guides, visit TechyGun.com.